Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It Happened!!

It finally happened-I'm engaged!
I know everyone at Utah State has been hearing that
a whole lot lately, but none the less, I'm incredibly
excited and want the whole world to know 
how wonderful my fiance is.
I know, I know, you don't have to say it.
We look horrible.
After a whole day of waiting in the airport
we were soo emotionally drained.
But speaking of the airport...that's where our story begins.

So as most of you don't know, I'm from a little
town called Grand Haven, Michigan.
My father, being the old fashioned man that he is,
and Taylor, being the respectable, fine young man that
he is, wanted to ask my father for my hand in marriage.
So Thursday of last week we flew out to Michigan for Tay to
meet the fam.
It all went really well-my dad said yes (obviously)
and Tay got to bond with my family even though we were
literally there for about three days.
So Sunday rolls around, 6:30am and we're up and at 'em
(okay, kindof).
We flew stand-by so our chances of getting on a flight
weren't solid but we hoped and prayed we'd get on a flight home.
After waiting around for eight plus hours in the Detroit
airport, we got on the last flight out to SLC.
The whole day Tay had been super secretive with his
texts to his mom and when his best friend Nate called
continuously, I knew something must have been up.
As we landed in SLC and drove back to Bountiful
I was getting super anxious, awaiting what I thought
to be a wonderful surprise when we got home.
Much to my chagrin, no surprise.
I was sorely disappointed
and wasn't able to hide it well.
Tay suspected it right away and after telling him my hopes
for the evening, he completely went along with it!
Saying that he wanted to do something really special
but we got home too late but that we would figure something out.
Psh.
About a half an hour before that Tay's mom Jody had
gone to "help Grandma and Grandpa move some tables and chairs for a 
relief society activity tomorrow" while Tay and I cuddled up
to some Survivor down in the basement.
Jody came home and told Tay that Grandpa needed some help moving 
more chairs and asked if I wanted to go with.
I, of course, said yes.
We got to his grandparent's house and snuck into the basement
with a flashlight and there it was-a candle lit dinner with a vase
of flowers and the ring box sitting on the table.
Tay opened the door for me and we hugged and kissed for a long time
then he grabbed the box off the table, after sharing with me
his thoughts and feelings and how much he loved me,
got down on one knee and asked me to be his forever...
and of course I said yes :)
Afterwards we enjoyed a nice dinner and a slow dance
that has quickly become a tradition with us to this song.

Oh, and here's the ring ;)
Isn't it beautiful?

Tay is the most thoughtful, caring, loving, funny, amazing man
I have ever and will ever meet.
I am so lucky to have him in my life and now for eternity.
I couldn't ask for anything better.
I am so blessed to have him in my life and thank Heavenly Father
every single day for the love we have.

1 comment:

  1. Love your engagement story and I know you know this already, but you just landed yourself the best of the best! Life with Taylor and the whole Hawkins clan will be the best adventure of your life!

    ReplyDelete